Thursday, September 8, 2011

Art Association Poetry

Today my writing students wrote art association poetry where they chose a famous painting and listed different sensory associations encouraged from the artwork. I chose this activity for them, because one of the major ways writers gain their ideas is through the association process. Writers think of one thing that leads them to think of something else which, in turn, leads them to think of something else and, at last, they think of just the right idea that grabs their interest and fosters creative energy.

With her permission, I am posting an art association poem written by sixth grade student, Nicole Grant.


Painting by Norman Rockwell
Poem by Nicole Grant

Longing to Be Who I’m Not

When I look at myself in the mirror, I see me,
But I want to look like Bailey;
Bailey is so pretty –
She lives in the city;
I wish I was her,
But I look like a blur
As I gaze in the mirror
Longing to be who I’m not.

I pause to realize
How special I really am:
God made me the way that I am
So I look into the mirror again
And I am content.

Psalms 139:14
I praise you, Lord, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment