Monday, August 20, 2012

­­Purified by Adversity


Bible Verse:

Psalm 119:71 (ESV) – “It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.”


Additional Bible Reading:


James 1:2-4 (ESV) – “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”


Devotion:



Depression has typically been my first response to the fires of adversity. Unpleasant words and actions sear deeply into my soul leaving painful scars. Even when the flames of adversity roar about me, I know that God is still actively present, caring for me in all circumstances and allowing the upheaval in my life to accomplish a greater purpose. When I suffer the consequences of my own sinful choices, I know that God is lovingly permitting the winds of adversity to burn away my imperfections and supply a quality I lack so that I can become spiritually mature, purified for his purposes. As I renew my intimacy with God, I trust his promise to never leave me or forsake me.

Prayer:

Dear Father, when the fires of adversity cause upheaval in my life, strengthen my faith in your good purposes and renew my trust in your promises.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

 Challenge:                          
Consider your own response to adversity. Does it draw you into greater intimacy with God?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy-I am hoping that when adveristy comes it does draw me closer to God. Outwardly, sometimes I react wrongly to the adversity in my humaness, but spiritually I usually do eventually "seek His face," for I know that only He can help me in all ways. And so I can somewhat understand the necessity of it all. Alot of my adversity comes from my own sin-that's the worst kind. I get discouraged about me, but this too causes me to run to Him, so we "win" either way. Patti (Debbie Miller's sister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti, for sharing. God's blessings to you.

      Delete