Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Noticing Poem: A Classroom

A Classroom is a Noticing Poem utilizing the refrain, I Know, that focuses on sounds, smells, and words. As I shared with my students this week in our writing elective class, a Noticing Poem can be an excellent prelude to descriptive essay writing. The purpose of descriptive essay writing, a form of expository writing, is to use imagery so that the reader can picture something in his or her mind. Descriptive writing incorporates many types of literary elements, such as similes, metaphors, and personification. Descriptive writing is meant to "paint a picture" for the reader. It relates information in a manner that creates sensory impressions using the five senses. Therefore, a Noticing Poem can become an excellent outline for the writing of a descriptive essay.


I Know a Classroom... (sounds)
+ The quiet chatter of students conferring on a team project
+ The clicking of computer keys as students compose individual essays on their keyboards
+ The startling, piercing ring of the school bell announcing the end of class

I Know a Classroom... (smells)
+ The allergy-afflicting suffocation of airborne chalk dust
+ The gagging perspiration odors following afternoon recess
+ The heady intoxicating smell of permanent markers

I Know a Classroom... (words)
+ "Students, please take your seats."
+ "I forgot my homework."
+ "Great job, class."

I Know a Classroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment